Re: [Phys-l] dealing with the media +- evolution

At 15:19 -0500 4/6/08, cliff parker wrote:

Just because I walk into my classroom at school and inhale doesn't mean
there will be any oxygen in that breath. Maybe all of the oxygen will have
randomly moved to the top of the room. Again within your last post you
sighted several reasons why (Pu-??? = nuclear weapons) is really not
conjecture as it applies to Iran. It's like arguing about what the meaning
of is, is. The larger point is why hasn't the media told us the facts.
They pretend that your statement above - "Just because a nation is using
nuclear power doesn't mean that they are planning on using the resulting
plutonium to build nuclear weapons." should really be taken seriously when
considering Iran. You don't even believe that. Shouldn't they be making at
least a bit of an effort to educate the people about the fact that Uranium
is really, really hard to process where as Pu is not. And it is obvious to
anyone who knows that, that the reason for nuclear power production in Iran
has nothing to do with electricity?

I rather think that the probabilities of breathing oxygen are somewhat different from those of Iran wanting nukes. I agree that the probability of Iran not wanting weapons is low, but your breathing example has a probability many orders of magnitude different from Iranian nukes. I am not trying to convince anyone that Iran doesn't want nukes. They probably do. But not "probably." We do not have the firm evidence that you proclaim, and so what we are asserting is speculative, even if it is unlikely to be wrong.

Having access to plutonium does not guarantee an intention to put it to use in weapons, even if it does create that danger. Having uranium enrichment does not guarantee and intention to create weapons-grade uranium, even if it does enable that possibility. There are plenty of examples of countries with access to either or both who have not built nuclear weapons. The Iranians may never obtain nuclear weapons either because they choose not to, or because the technical problems may prove daunting and they cannot do so. I agree that this probability is low, but it is not zero, or anywhere as near to zero as you seem to believe. And since we are both speaking from a vast storehouse of ignorance, it seems to me pointless to continue the discussion.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar