Re: [Phys-l] dealing with the media +- evolution

On 04/05/2008 03:40 PM, David Appell wrote:

Thanks for this list

:-)

But many of these people -- Christopher Hitchens, Bill O'Reilly,
Chris Matthews, etc. -- are entertainers, not journalists.

Agreed. Did you see Hardball last Wednesday? ---

Matthews: Let me ask you about, at any time in this campaign,
did you have a chuckle that you just couldn't get rid of?
Something weird that happened that was so crazy that you just
went to bed laughing about?

Obama: Oh, I think that happens once a day. Yeah, but then
I stopped watching cable news.

Our society desperately needs more media literacy so people can tell
them apart.
there is surely a large amount of misleading
reporting these days,

I agree ... but why limit to "these days"? I figure it was always
thus.

*) Remember the heyday of yellow journalism (Joseph Pulitzer versus
William Randolph Hearst)? Today it's the Iraq war; then it was the
Spanish-American war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

*) Thomas Jefferson wrote:
"As for what is not true, you will always find abundance in
the newspapers."

Our society desperately needs more media literacy

Indeed.

IMHO a useful tool is
http://news.google.com/
It's just a tool and a starting point, not a cure-all ... and you
have to learn how to use the tool. But it can help you find stuff
that would never be discussed by the local paper (let alone O'Reilly
or Limbaugh).