Re: [Phys-l] Wind generator output versus wind speed.

On 04/04/2008 04:45 AM, Rick Tarara wrote:

I did not expect the generator power to wind speed to be cubic but was
somewhat surprised when I found it (admittedly one time through--will redo
the experiment this weekend) to be linear (including 0,0).

I'm more than "somewhat" surprised.

It is easy to prove that if you have a wind generator that
is linear in the neighborhood of (0,0) then you can build a
perpetual motion machine of the first kind.

Here "linear" means power output proportional to wind speed.