Re: [Phys-l] Is evolution something to believe in?

As a contribution to the discussion here is a quotation from William Kingdon Clifford's work entitled "The Ethics of Belief"(1877)

If I steal money from any person, there may be no harm done from the mere transfer of possession; he may not feel the loss, or it may prevent him from using the money badly. But I cannot help doing this great wrong towards Man, that I make myself dishonest.
What hurts society is not that it should lose its property, but that it should become a den of thieves, for then it must cease to be society. This is why we ought not to do evil, that good may come; for at any rate this great evil has come, that we have done evil and are made wicked thereby.
In like manner, if I let myself believe anything on insufficient evidence, there may be no great harm done by the mere belief; it may be true after all, or I may never have occasion to exhibit it in outward acts. But I cannot help doing this great wrong towards Man, that I make myself credulous.
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things, though that is great enough; but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them; for then it must sink back into savagery.
William K. Clifford
THE DUTY OF INQUIRY Chapter I in:
The Ethics of Belief (1877)
The full text is available on line at :
<http://ajburger.homestead.com/files/book.htm>

William Kingdon Clifford, FRS (May 4, 1845 - March 3, 1879) was an English mathematician who also wrote on philosophy. Along with Hermann Grassmann, he introduced what is now termed geometric algebra, a special case of the Clifford algebra named in his honour, with interesting applications in contemporary mathematical physics and geometry.