Re: [Phys-l] Is evolution something to believe in?

I almost believe (in?) this. Perhaps I would modify it a bit: in the case of a scientific theory the authority is a consensus of those who have actively studied and tested the theory; in the case of religion, there is very little consensus, and the authority is ones own priest, rabbi, guru, etc., and none of the above have done any testing (in the scientific sense).
skip

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of fred bucheit
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:20 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Is evolution something to believe in?

I "believe" that his is one of the more important threads that has been developed on this list. It seems to me that most science in schools and colleges is taught much like a belief system is taught: here is a bunch of stuff handed down from some authority, learn it. In the case of religion, the authority is god; in the case of science the authority is some great mind. The public comes to thinks it is only a matter of choice as to which of the two to believe in, that the one has the same validity as the other. I think it is our job and our responsibility to make sure that that thinking does not happen. We should at least show the enormous distinction between the two processes and on what they are based. The difference, after all, is the difference between the rational and the non-rational world.

Fred Bucheit