[Phys-l] Wind generator output versus wind speed.

Here is a physics/engineering question.

From various texts, the theoretical maximum power transfer from wind to
electrical power is cubic in wind speed and also depends on the area swept by the rotors. The cubic part comes from the KE which is of course quadratic in speed but with the added linear factor of wind mass. All that's fine, but when you look at the power curves of real wind turbines, you see 'S' curves, with little power generated at low speed and levelling to some max power at high speed. However, the curves look pretty linear from the 'cut in' to the 'cut out' wind velocities--slopes greater than one. We have the Pasco Energy Transfer Generators and are putting together a wind energy lab, but we're also seeing a linear dependency (using a three speed fan). Not sure I understand the linearity and certainly not sure how to approach my Energy class (gen-ed students) with anything other than 'turbine design is complex and the actual power transfer is a function of each individual device'. Any insights would be appreciated.

http://www.clemson.edu/scies/wind/Poster-Schmidt.pdf

Slide 11 above shows some typical power curves--many others can be found on-line.

Thanks,

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics