Re: [Phys-l] STUDY SUGGESTS NO CHILD LAW MAY BE DUMBING DOWNSTUDENTS

The explanation we got about why these high stakes tests were needed was
to prevent social passing. When the tests were given, and we had A/B
students failing the test, we put into place an appeals process to say
that if they had the grades and not the test scores then they could
still go forward. So now, we have a high stakes test that only holds
back students who fail the test and fail the classes if the parents
whine loud enough. What's the point - other than to make elementary
school children cry and middle school & high school students give up?

My son did eventually "get over it" and is doing very well in college,
perhaps because of this. But, I know others who did not "get over it"
and eventually, because they failed the tests, they began to do poorly
in classes too. Perhaps they were just being socially passed. Perhaps,
this became a self-fulfilling prophecy - tell them that, despite their
passing grades they didn't learn the material and so they have to repeat
the grade - then next time they won't try as hard because they are just
going to fail the test anyway.

Mariam Dittmann, Ph.D.