Re: [Phys-l] STUDY SUGGESTS NO CHILD LAW MAY BE DUMBING DOWNSTUDENTS

At 13:28 -0500 11/3/08, Rick Tarara wrote:

Simplistic answers
like too much testing (or too high stakes--although I would prefer higher
stakes, but with the consequences firmly on the students), lack of recess (a
pitiful one), or the catch all "it's George Bush's fault" (soon to be
unavailable), miss the complexity of the interplay of society and technology
and the effects on individuals.

I agree that stakes for testing need to be mostly on the students, but they can also be so high there that either they discourage the students or further encourage cheating, or both. I still feel that by placing so much emphasis on current learning of factoids we miss the most important aspect of education, and that is what remains after all the factoids have long since been forgotten. Of course, that is difficult to measure, especially in the short term, and we as a society seem to be mostly interested in the short term, believing (hoping?) that the long term will take care of itself.

But I would like to focus on the issue of recess. Rick denegrates it as an issue ("pitiful"), but, at least at the primary and middle grades, I think it is terribly important. High school is probably different, because they have never, in my memory had recess, as such, although I do decry the dramatic decrease in physical education requirements. Teenagers, especially, are bursting with energy, and they need someplace to burn that off, or they become increasingly restive in class. Our kids are far too sedentary now, and the absence of recess only makes that situation worse. I think it has been pretty well establish that a reasonable degree of exercise is necessary to make learning effective. Completely sedentary students tend to have short attention spans, either wandering off to mischief, or to sleep. All students need some activity, just to keep an adequate supply of blood moving through their brains. And as John C. has pointed out, much of the students' social education comes from interactions at recess. So I see recess as something much more than Rick's "pitiful." Without exercise, mental activity suffers. So I would argue to bring back recess in primary and middle grades and daily physical education classes for high schools.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

So called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer and more livable. Don't let them get away with it!!
Chip Giller, founder of Grist.org