Re: [Phys-l] EM, is it energy

On 11/24/2007 06:35 PM, Craig & Margaret Lucanus asked
whether EM is energy.

Answer: No.

We don't say a book on a high shelf "is" energy. It _has_ energy,
i.e. more energy that it would on a low shelf.

We don't say a speeding train "is" energy. It _has_ energy,
i.e. more energy that it would at rest.

We don't say an EM field "is" energy. It _has_ energy, i.e. more
energy that it would if the field-strength were less.

Energy is an abstract thing. It is more abstract than books,
more abstract than trains, and even more abstract than EM
fields. It is a perfectly real, well-behaved thing, just a
little bit abstract.

In discussion with my students about different forms of energy , a student
asked whether light (EM) is a form of energy at all, or whether it is really
just a mode of transmission of potential energy.

Potential energy? What's "potential" got to do with it?
-- One does not transmit potential energy, just energy.
-- Potential energy is not conserved; energy is.

Heck, what is light?

1) And God said

1
c є0

and there was light.

2) Light is the name we give to a certain subset of the things an
EM field can do. Basically EM waves with a wavelength between
380 and 700 nm.