[Phys-l] What is energy? (a little long)

Just wondering if some of you with more experience and knowledge than I will comment on part of my approach to describing the abstract nature of energy. I spend a good deal of time (most of a class period) talking with students about the meaning of mass. They come to me in high school with a definition that is something like mass is the amount of "stuff" in an object. The difference between weight and mass is not a significant problem for most of them. I tell them that that was a pretty good start in middle school but is not good enough most of the time for us. I ask them to tell me how they would find the mass of a stapler for example. They all agree that they would use a triple beam balance. I talk them into accepting the idea of using a simpler gravitational pan balance because I don't want to talk about torques etc. They go along with that pretty well. Then I ask them to consider what the pan balance "feels" or compares. Pretty soon most agree that it is really feeling or comparing gravitational force or weight. They know that weight and mass are not the same so they know that they would have just used a balance to compare weight and then they would have reported mass. I suggest that this seems odd. comparing weight and then reporting mass since clearly the two things are not the same. About this time I take the opportunity to ask them for about the 50th time why they suppose they never questioned this approach before. (I am always pointing out questions that they should have been asking all along, for example how do positively charged protons remain packed together in a nucleus, things like that) So now we work on what might be a better definition of mass. Eventually we come up with something like mass is the stuff in stuff that makes it gravitationally attracted to other stuff. And that we really don't know what that stuff is because we have only measured it indirectly via comparison of weights. OK, Ok, so about now they think they have a better understanding of this abstract thing called mass. Then I introduce the idea of inertial mass. I demonstrate an inertial balance and explain how it can be used to compare inertias of two or more objects. We also discuss the idea that the amount of inertia an object has is related to the amount of mass it has. However that object has this thing called inertia even in situations where we do not see this thing called weight. (the inertial balance works sideways and gravity doesn't care about this kind of motion, it can be used in free fall where gravitational balances can not, etc.) Now after some prodding most are beginning to see that this thing in objects that we call mass is doing two different things. We work next on coming up with yet another definition of mass. This time it goes something like this. Mass it the stuff in stuff that makes it hard to accelerate. Most begin to see that the only way we can measure mass is indirectly via weight or inertia. There appears to be no way to measure mass directly. In the end we come to the conclusion that not only does mass seem to have two different definitions but that neither one can be measured directly. THE IDEA OF MASS IS FUZZY!

From that foundation we later discuss energy. Einstein's famous equation is
brought into the picture. In no way do I even attempt to explain relativity but we simply say that Einstein discovered this relationship between mass and energy. He discovered that one can be turned into the other. Now with our rather confusing foundation on the definitions of mass students seem willing to go along with the idea that energy is at least equally "FUZZY". I show a collection of about a dozen definitions of energy that I have found on reasonably reliable internet sights and although they all have some common ideas they don't really all get the job done in a nice clean way. I end this presentation with a definition written by one of my clever students about five years ago. It goes as follows "Energy is the stuff in stuff that makes stuff do stuff". I think he got it. At least he got what I wanted him to get. Let the dissection and picking begin.

Cliff Parker