Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Schnick" <JSchnick@Anselm.Edu>

The axle "hangs" from the top rim via the top spokes. The rim "hangs"
from the top sidewall of the tire.

No. The bead hangs from the top sidewall. The rim is supported from
below by the bead.

Do you mean the rim/wheel is pushed up from below by the bead, or that a rim on the top of the wheel that traps the bead is pushed up by the bead. The latter is, IMO, the same as hanging from the bead which is hanging from the sidewall.

Seems to me that an answer to this is to carefully look at a car wheel--does anyone have one available or can you get down to a HS auto shop? IS the bead of a mounted tire trapped or not (I'm thinking not). If not trapped, then I can't see how the wheel can hang from the bead. If it is trapped, that is certainly a possibility.

Rick