Re: [Phys-l] Mythbusters

David:
Some more information that might help (plus attachment):

2006-05-01 - NSTA Reports
MythBusters Share Insights at President's Banquet in Anaheim
Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, special-effects experts and co-hosts of
the Discovery Channel’s popular MythBusters series, shared their
vision of the show with attendees of the NSTA President’s Banquet in
Anaheim. They came on stage to great applause, but Savage really struck
a note with the audience when he said, “It’s great that you are
excited that we’re here, but we are humbled that you feel that we
contribute to learning.” Hyneman added, “We’re the least
qualified people in the room, but we’re getting the most
attention.”
Every Wednesday at 9 p.m. Eastern Time, the MythBusters tackle three
myths by using “modern-day science to show you what’s real and
what’s fiction.” They do this by actually demonstrating their
ideas, not merely talking about them. The first to admit that they are
not scientists, the MythBusters explain that is part of the show’s
appeal. “If we actually knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be as
interesting.”
Their popularity among science teachers was apparent, as often during
the question-and-answer session, teachers explained how they used the
show’s episodes to reinforce what they teach in the classroom.
“They come into my class full of questions about the previous
night’s episode on sinking a boat,” related one teacher. “I’m
then able to bring in our lessons about buoyancy.” Another wanted an
online “cheat sheet” to refer to in case she misses an episode.
“I don’t want to be caught off guard by my students because I
missed the show. I want to know what they are going to be asking me
when they walk in the door.” Savage and Hyneman have already taped
more than 60 episodes of MythBusters. (For a complete episode guide,
visit
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/episode/episode.html.)
Savage and Hyneman believe the main reason that their show resonates
with their fans is because they demonstrate ideas using real examples.
They emphasize that they “are more interested in the process than in
the results,’’ as many times their plans do not work out the way
they thought they would. They garnered the greatest applause when they
said, “Failing is always an option. We are only right about what will
happen about 10% of the time. It’s okay if the experiment doesn’t
work. It’s what you learn from the process that matters.”
NSTA President Mike Padilla ended the evening by saying that the
MythBusters’ irreverent humor and no-holds-barred approach made this
year’s President’s Banquet memorable. To read more about the
MythBusters, visit
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/about/about.html.

2006-03-08 - NSTA
Discovery's MythBusters Coming to Anaheim
Myths, urban legends, old wives’ tales. How can one be sure what’s
fact and what’s fiction?
NSTA is pleased to announce that Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman,
co-hosts of Discovery Channel’s popular MythBusters series, will
speak at the President’s Annual Banquet at the association’s
National Conference on Science Education. The banquet will be held from
7 to 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 8.
The popular duo takes on three myths each week and uses modern-day
science to show viewers what's real and what's fiction. And they do
more than explain: Through trial and error, they actually demonstrate
how something may or may not be scientifically possible.
For more information about this event or other activities taking place
at the Anaheim conference, visit www.nsta.org/anaheim

David Appell wrote:
I'm a science journalist working on an article idea. I was wondering if
any of you (high school or college) incorporate the Discovery Channel
show "Mythbusters" into your physics lessons. Is the show popular among
your students? Do you discuss topics that appear on the show, and the
science content behind the various projects? That sort of thing....

Email me directly, or to the list. Thanks.

David
--
David Appell, freelance science journalist
e: appell@nasw.org