Re: [Phys-l] Hubble Law

----- Original Message -----
From: "Calvin Kalman" <Calvin.Kalman@CONCORDIA.CA>

>I've read John's stuff--I'm sure that's my source of immediate
>recollection
of the below. My question is why? Why does the space between galaxy's,
between stars, expand but not the space between molecules, between atoms,
between nucleons?

Rick

The energy provided through an effective cosmological constant is
released in a phase change to energy bound up in the space time
structure.
--

I'll have to admit that the above doesn't help much. Is that just me? Or
is there an implied 'smiley' in the above??

Rick

I was trying not to be too technical. Phase changes during which forces become "deunified" are associated with Higgs bosons. These bosons provide an effective Cosmological constant. This is a term in the equations of General Relativity that correspond to a repulsive form of gravity. Because of the repulsive nature of this gravitational force, it causes all matter to move away; that is particles or clumps of particles are repelled. This is the cause of the expansion. When the universe was 10^-35 seconds old, it caused an enormous expansion according to the theory of inflation and continues to drive the universe up to the present day. If present ideas of cosmology are correct dark energy is bound up with this effect and at present is causing the bodies in the universe to continue to be repelled at an accelerated rate.

(I spend a whole course trying to explain all this to gen-ed students. Rapid fire summaries are difficult.)
--

Best wishes

Calvin

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Calvin S. Kalman, P. Phys. Phone: (514) 848-2424 xt 3284
_/ Professor,Department of Physics Fax: (514) 848-2828
_/ Fellow, Science College
_/ Member, Centre for the Study of Learning and Performance
_/ Concordia University
_/ Montreal, QC H4B 1R6 Calvin.Kalman@concordia.ca
_/
_/ Also Adjunct Professor Department of Educational
_/ and Counseling Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
_/
_/ _/ homepage- http://physics.concordia.ca/faculty/kalman.html
_/
_/ Buy
_/ Successful Science and Engineering Teaching in Colleges and Universities
_/ at
_/ https://secure.aidcvt.com/ank/ProdDetails.asp?ID=9781933371160&PG=1&Type=BL
_/