Re: [Phys-l] Hubble Law

I've read John's stuff--I'm sure that's my source of immediate recollection of the below. My question is why? Why does the space between galaxy's, between stars, expand but not the space between molecules, between atoms, between nucleons?

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Schnick" <JSchnick@Anselm.Edu>
This reference
http://www.av8n.com/physics/expansion-of-the-universe.htm
indicates that it is galaxies that are moving away from each other while
maintaining their own size. The relevant quote is: "On the other hand,
atoms, rulers, stars, and even galaxies are sufficiently firmly bound
that they can resist this stress, so they do not expand." The author is
John Denker.
Jeff Schnick