[Phys-l] Hubble Law

OK. I know that the Hubble Law states that recessional velocity of
distant galaxies is greater as distance increases. However, I am
forgetting why this should be intuitively correct? Is it because they were
accelerating longer at the start of the big bang??? Or is it because of
pressure from "dark energy" causing them to speed up for a longer time?
Can someone help?

Thanks.
Tom