Re: [Phys-l] g...

Some data, then some observations about student behavior...

* * * Data * * *

According to direct measurements made by the USGS in Bluffton, OH using a Worden Gravity Meter, the value of g is 9.8014 m/s^2.

According to the formula that John D. referenced, g is 9.8026 m/s^2.

According to this site <http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/grav_pdx.prl> it is 9.8012 m/s^2 (underscore between grav and pdx)

The NOAA site is easy to use and agrees remarkably with the direct measurement. The site John referenced uses latitude and elevation data whereas the NOAA site uses latitude, elevation, plus longitude data.

* * * Student Behavior * * *

In Bluffton (and indeed for most of the USA), we clearly should be using g = 9.80 m/s^2 if we are rounding to 3 places. I tell this to students over and over. Yet they keep using 9.81 m/s^2 in all their calculations. Why is this?

Both their high school text and their college text use 9.81 m/s^2. For any book problems or examples, if they want to get the same answer as listed in the book, they need to use 9.81 m/s^2. Therefore, I sure wish books intended for USA audiences would use 9.80 or 9.8.

I tell students that if they want to use 9.81 for textbook calculations I guess that is okay, but they should use 9.80 for lab calculations. However, 9.81 seems so ingrained in their minds that they still use 9.81 for lab calculations.

I readily admit this is trivial in terms of the numerical result, especially given the sizes of the other errors in the labs. But, the insistence on using a value that is known to be incorrect certainly seems bad practice for student scientists. That is what bugs me. Why do they keep using a number they know is wrong?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817