Re: [Phys-l] g...

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 08:13:29 -0500 "R. McDermott" <rmcder@gmail.com>
writes:
I introduce g as the strength of a gravitational field due to the
Earth, remind them that it varies
with distance, etc, and has a value of 9.81 N/kg at the Earth's
surface.

If you wrote that g has a value of 9.8 N/kg at the Earth's surface,
I would agree. But is it correct to add the additional significant
figure and make it 9.81 here??

According the American Institute of Physics Handbook, Page 2-93,
the acceleration of gravity is given as 9.78 at sea level at the earth's
equator.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the acceleration of gravity is not 9.81 N/kg)