Re: [Phys-l] Baseball

The technical term is stenopaeia. Improvement is not limited to myopics. A letter in a recent TPT discussed this w/o giving the optometric / ophthalmic term.
There are several competing effect regarding vision in stenopaeia. Obviously intensity is reduced, also diffraction will reduce visibility. Squinting is, therefore, not useful with low ambient illumination.

In a thread on the camera obscura, I suggested the exercise: Determine the optimum F/.

bc

Dennis Erickson wrote:

Squinting can make the image sharper (clearer). For a near sighted person it helps because it increases the depth of field(in focus distances)

Dennis Erickson
WA9FBC

Chicago Sidewalk Astronomy Club
Chicago Section--International Dark-Sky Assn.
http://www.sidewalk-astronomy-club.com/chicago
http://www.darksky.org

Keep your Eye on the Sky!