Re: [Phys-l] History of MASS

David Abineri wrote:
I wonder if someone can comment on the historical development of the
concept of mass. When was such a concept first used and what was the
original motivation for a concept that tell us what we understand mass
to be today. Galileo and Newton surely understood the need for such a
concept but when and why did it first arise?

In a sense, the original "operational definition" (or ancestor) of mass was in the measurement on weight. This can be found in the Bible, Deuteronomy Chapter 25: 13-15.

25:13. Thou shalt not have divers weights in thy bag, a greater and a less:
Non habebis in sacculo diversa pondera maius et minus

25:14. Neither shall there be in thy house a greater bushel and a less.
Nec erit in domo tua modius maior et minor

25:15. Thou shalt have a just and a true weight, and thy bushel shall be equal and true: that thou mayest live a long time upon the land which the Lord thy God shall give thee.
Pondus habebis iustum et verum et modius aequalis et verus erit tibi ut multo vivas tempore super terram quam Dominus Deus tuus dederit tibi

Alphonsus