Re: [Phys-l] Video Encyclopedia of Physics Demos (ownership)

At 17:41 -0500 10/18/06, Jack Uretsky wrote:

Hi all-
Sorry, Hugh, but when you buy a licensed product, such as
software, and agree to the license terms (which, in many cases, you must
do to open the software) you are bound by the license terms. Copyright
ownership is protected by federal criminal statutes, as well as by the
possibility of suit by the copyright owner.
I have been in a law firm that contacted the fbi to bring criminal
proceedings against a company that violated the copyright of one of our
clients.
regards,
Jack

I don't think anything I suggested violates any copyright laws. I first suggested bookmarking the DVDs, which still requires that they be played in the computer containing the bookmarks, since all the bookmark does is record a location on the disc for the pickup to go to before playing from the disc.

And transferring the bookmarks to another computer (if that is possible, and I don't know that it is) is just transferring that navigation information, rather than the clip itself.

I don't think that I am under any obligation to only play a DVd in its entirety if I don't choose to, and using a DVD in class is clearly within the "fair use" clause of the copyright law. I wasn't suggesting copying the clip to any other medium, nor if I read it right, was Bob (maybe I didn't read it right). It seemed to me that what he had done was to essentially put a bookmark into his PPT file and then could put play the DVD clip from the disc through his computer. I'm not so certain about my interpretation of what Bob did, but I am certain that I was not talking about copying clips from the DVD, only recording navigation information that I generated on my own. If *that* violates the copyright law then we are all in a lot of trouble, since I'll bet we have all been doing that with video tapes for eons.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

When you are arguing with a stupid person, it is a good idea to make sure that
person isn't doing the same thing.
Anonymous