Re: [Phys-l] Afraid of being smart?

At 11:04 AM 10/5/2006, you wrote:

--- Brian Whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> She said, "Boys are concerned with pretty girls mostly:
> that's their main concern."
> This was not the response I expected.

And girls at the high school where I teach are interested
in handsome, high status boys.

Did you think that they repealed biology?

On the other hand, stupid, rather than merely average, boys
and girls rarely get dates of any kind and are, to some
extent, pitied by the other kids.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay

There's something glinting dimly from my consciousness here.

If you are offered the choice of something beautiful or something ugly,
I can suppose that you all will often plump for beautiful.
And if I offer a choice of rich versus impoverished, the same.
Or young and vibrant versus old and withered....

That transcends biology as here specified.
But I have spoken to several women who described themselves
as adrift without a friend who lasted more than a month or two at school.
These were not dumb, nor yet ugly people.
I am supposing that some feature of school structures holding thousands
is somehow dehumanizing. But I am merely speculating, as the product
of a boys-only high school.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!