Re: [Phys-l] Afraid of being smart?

At 06:29 AM 10/5/2006, Ludwik, you wrote:
X is a mathematician, Y is a computer scientist.

Ludwik Kowalski
X wrote:
> My kids went through elementary school with no grades, and
> it was great! They didn't get the usual social disapprobation for
> excelling that is so common in this culture, and makes smart
> kids afraid of being seen as smart.

Y wrote:
It is a shame that kids are afraid of being seen as smart. This is due
to miscomprehension of the concept of equality. Maybe we can fix it.

X wrote:
> Not having grown up in the U.S. you may not be aware as
> to how powerful that anti-intellectual tide is. It does a lot to
> undermine education, no matter what the teachers do.

Y wrote:
Just because I did not grow up in the US does not mean that I am
unaware of the anti-intellectualism epidemic. I have been fighting
against it for a long time.

I relate well to women: young women, old women.
I was talking to a charming young woman called Gabriella
who recently entered high school.

She mentioned that she normally scored a's, sometimes a sprinkle of b's.
I asked if it was a problem, needing to dissemble in order to get along
with young men in this new school.

She said, "Boys are concerned with pretty girls mostly:
that's their main concern."
This was not the response I expected.

Shallow n shallower?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!