Re: [Phys-l] RC Disharge Analysis

Hi all-
The point that everyone seems to be missing is that the direction of I is determined by the fact that Q is a conserved quantity, and I is the flow of Q. The choice is whether I is the outward flow or the inward flow from the region where Q is accumulated. Given any conserved quantity, call it K, in a region, there is an expression of the conservation dK/dt+F=0, where F is the outward flow of "stuff" from the region. In the electrical case we must choose F so that the net voltage around the circuit vanishes, and the voltage drop along a resistor is in the direction of flow of F. You check for consistency in an RC circuit
by replacing the capacitor with a battery having the same polarity, and insisting that the current direction from the battery is the same as the initial current from the charged capacitor.
Regards,
Jack