Re: [Phys-l] Temperature in Space

At 11:08 AM 2/18/2006, you wrote:
I have a question from Giancoli that I am trying to get a good answer to
for my high school class.

" The temperature high in the earth's atmosphere is 700C yet an animal
would freeze to death up there. Explain"

What does the temperature of 700C refer to exactly? When one says the
temperature on the moon in sunlight is 250C, what does this really mean?

Thanks for your advice on this one, I am looking for a good way to
explain this to high school students.

David Abineri

--
dabineri@fuse.net

The temperature of a well-spun representative object in sunlit
near-Earth space is said to settle at 15 degC

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!