Re: [Phys-l] Temperature in Space

Great question! I used to use Giancoli, now I have Cutnell & Johnson. Temp
is a measure of the average KE of the molecules. But there are so few air
molecules up there that they have low internal energy. So little heat is
transferred to the animal.

I do a sparkler demo to illustrate this. Light a sparkler. The flame as
around 2000° -- doesn't matter if it's °F, °Ç, or K. It's hot and will
burn paper. Then let the sparks hit your hand, but you will not get hurt.
You should be at least 3 cm away from the flame. High temp, but low
internal energy. And very little heat transfer to your hand.

PHYS-L Maillist <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> on Saturday, February