Re: [Phys-l] RC Disharge Analysis

|Serway says -q/R -IR = 0. Can anyone explain how that could be correct?

This is correct if i is defined as positive when it is CW (in your
previously drawn circuit), and q is the charge on the lower plate. Note
this also defines the relation i = dq/dt

| The only way I can get that is to draw the current through the resistor in
| direction that would result in charging the capacitor rather than
| discharging it.

You are not drawing the actual current, you are merely defining the meaning
of a positive result for i.

I agree that Serway should explain his conventions more specifically.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/
trebor@winbeam.com