Re: [Phys-l] RC Disharge Analysis

My apologies for a typographical error in my late night typing. I should have known better than to fall asleep, wake up, and make a post before going back to bed.

Of course when I wrote q/C - IV = 0 for the loop theorem, I had intended to write q/C - IR = 0. Worse, I typed the wrong thing more than once.

I think John and I are talking past each other on drawing diagrams/circuits. I am talking about only one circuit; that is, only one way of organizing the resistor, capacitor, switch in a single-loop circuit. All ways of constructing the circuit yield either the identical circuit or the mirror image of the circuit, and the circuit and mirror-image circuits are analyzed in an identical procedure. John is talking about the annotated circuit diagram in which the analysis has already begun (the current direction is noted and +/- signs are placed on the diagram). I agree there are two conventional ways to draw the annotated diagram because it is arbitrary which capacitor plate is chosen as the positive plate.

When you apply the loop theorem to a single loop, you have only two choices, CW or CCW. I hope we agree on that. And the reason I said you can apply the loop theorem after choosing the current direction is because if you apply the loop theorem before choosing the a current direction you don't know whether there is a voltage increase or decrease as you traverse the resistor. Assuming we are defining current as positive charge flow, the loop theorem either yields q/C - IR = 0 or it yields -q/C + IR depending on which way we navigate the loop. Serway says -q/R -IR = 0. Can anyone explain how that could be correct? The only way I can get that is to draw the current through the resistor in a direction that would result in charging the capacitor rather than discharging it.

Bob Sciamanda says that properly written loop equations will be valid whatever the signs. Of course, because a valid loop can be traversed the opposite direction, or the algebraic equation can have both sides multiplied by -1.

I still maintain that if you apply the loop theorem correctly, you must choose i = -dq/dt for this problem, and that bugs students.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817