[Phys-L] Lab DMM Recommendations?

Having recently suffered a rash of failures in the $10 DMM we had around the lab, I was wondering what advice people had on new meters. These are used for 1st year physics and also for physical science labs. Accuracy would be nice, but reliability and robustness seem more critical. And of course, the budget is tight, so cost is also a key concern.

So do any of you have a favorite model and/or favorite supplier you could recommend? Should I lobby for Flukes and forget about buying anything else for a year? Should a buy a bunch of $10 meters and just treat them as disposable? Is there a good middle ground?

Tim Folkerts

Instructor of Physics
Barton County Community College
Great Bend, KS