[Phys-L] Re: Lab DMM Recommendations?

I'd like to second this request. We bought some $60 DMM's for this year, and the students have predictably and promptly managed to "kill" them. Meters for a student lab have to be able to survive a dead short across a 10V power supply on the most sensitive current setting. Our meters are fused, but the meter tends to blow a split second before the fuse does. Besides, we keep running out of fuses. Using the Vernier current probes is an option, but the students get very confused by all the "extra" wires that connect the sensors to the computer. They need a stand-alone ammeter of some kind. We're looking for suggestions, too.

The only advice I have right now is to buy all of your meters at once if you want them to be identical. Next year's verson of the DMM will be different.

Vickie Frohne