[Phys-L] Re: Weighing air (Was: electricity)

I've always wondered why barrels are hooped *. Now I know -- it's even
called hoop stress.

http://em-ntserver.unl.edu/NEGAHBAN/Em325/18-Pressure-vessels/Pressure%20vessels.htm

Anyway getting back to the plastic water bottles, this explains why,
reportedly, they split lengthwise.

* additionally because the staves aren't glued.

My old plastics encyclopedia gives tensile strength (rupture) as 11 =>
15 k psi

plugging into the above (Sigma (t/r), the chug (w/ the distracter)
displays 15 psi (using the max. value) What gives?

bc, differently confused

p.s. assumed polyethylene terephthalate; measured: 1.4" radius, and 14
mill thickness.

John Denker wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

A method: nearly fill soda bottle w/ water; cover with towels, or place
in strong box and pump up till it explodes (use tire pump that includes
gauge -- e.g. those combo 12 V. batts. and pump) then pump another
identical (not quite the correct word) to somewhat lower pressure for
"weighing".

That's 99% of the right idea.

Slight refinement: Suppose bottle #1 explodes at Px. Use that
to tell you what ballpark you're in, nothing more.

Hydrostatically test bottle #2 to (Px - 5psi), and then use
it at (Px - 10psi).

The point is that you don't need to rely on any questionable
assumptions about "identicality" or uniformity. Test the
bottle(s) you're going to use!

Also: I think industry standards call for Px > 80 psi,
and I've never had a problem at 80 psi, but don't quote
me on it ... this is just ballpark info to tell you what
size pump and gauge to buy.

Also, you can wrap the bottle with fiberglass reinforced
strapping tape in a few places, to make sure that if it
blows, there won't be any big pieces of shrapnel. In my
experience, soda bottles split open approximately lengthwise,
like a banana, so shrapnel isn't a problem, but tape
can't hurt and might help.

The split is sudden enough and (in the air-filled as opposed
to water-filled case) violent enough that you would be well
advised to keep the bottles behind a 1/4 inch or so of plexy.
You definitely don't want to let museum-visiting kids handle
them.