[Phys-L] Re: Calculators a Distraction?

Only getting answers instead of solutions? A simple fix - account for
the answer in the grading of the problem.

How I choose to grade problems:

10 points per problem, points awarded as follows:

1 point for list of variables given and needed
2 points for a diagram
2 points for choosing appropriate equation
3 points for using the equation correctly
2 points for answer with significant figures and units

Make this expectation explicit before the exam and on the exam. Gives
something to draw a big red circle around when grading.

If a student's calculator produces the correct number then by all means
give them the 1 or 2 points it has earned. The student with a test full
of correct answers and 20% to show for it will soon change his (it
usually is a male) ways.

This rubric also protects students from losing major points for a
simple algebraic or numerical mistake. It's a test and there is no time
to go back and check and recheck. I also will give back a point if the
student did the problem correctly from a physics standpoint yet made a
math blunder IF they note that the answer they gave is numerically
suspicious.

For very stubborn classes, I break the problem into stepwise parts with
the same point values:
a) list the given and needed variables
b) draw a diagram

but I try to wean them away from this as college prep.

HTH
Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher