[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: loggerpro question on video analysis

Yes, principle exception is w/ the Rad. detector. I collect w/ LP and
export the data to Kaleidograph. I may have posted this: I use the
solvent partition method developed by the Chemists at U. Washington
(Used by their Phys dept. I found a German U. that does it also, and
it's discussed in Nuclear Chem. texts). It's more convenient than the
Cs -- Ba ion exchange method.

bc

p.s. I just discovered that LP is most of the way there, i.e. the error
bars may be generated from a calculated column. In this case the sqrt
of the counts column. A quick read of Peter Scott's * description of
his Marquardt NLLS fit program indicates use of the variances of the
data is required, so I think it should be a simple matter to input them
into LP?

* For UCSC Physics Advanced Lab.

John Gastineau wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

"... just tilt the camera"

Haah!

and I was going to suggest rotating the axes by using additional data
columns w/ trig. fcn. multipliers.

bc, rather stupid.

p.s. I was going to suggest calling Vernier w/ that suggestion, [I've
found them very friendly and helpful -- still not too big a company.]
but John (w/ whom I've spoken) beat me to it.

p.p.s. however, unless I'm missing something their Chi Square does not
make use of the error bars. Perhaps Mr. (Dr.?) G. will inform us.

That's right--the curve fitting routines of Logger Pro (any version)
do not make use of error bars. All points are equally weighted. For
sensor or video analysis data, this choice is usually appropriate.
There are times that weighted fits are appropriate, but at present our
software doesn't offer that feature.

And yes, it's Dr. I've been a participant on phys-l since 1989. When I
was teaching I posted here a lot, but since coming to Vernier I tend
to speak only when spoken to, for fear of folks complaining of
commercial posting. I'll go back to my corner now...

JG