[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: loggerpro question on video analysis

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

"... just tilt the camera"

Haah!

and I was going to suggest rotating the axes by using additional data
columns w/ trig. fcn. multipliers.

bc, rather stupid.

p.s. I was going to suggest calling Vernier w/ that suggestion, [I've
found them very friendly and helpful -- still not too big a company.]
but John (w/ whom I've spoken) beat me to it.

p.p.s. however, unless I'm missing something their Chi Square does not
make use of the error bars. Perhaps Mr. (Dr.?) G. will inform us.

That's right--the curve fitting routines of Logger Pro (any version) do
not make use of error bars. All points are equally weighted. For sensor
or video analysis data, this choice is usually appropriate. There are
times that weighted fits are appropriate, but at present our software
doesn't offer that feature.

And yes, it's Dr. I've been a participant on phys-l since 1989. When I
was teaching I posted here a lot, but since coming to Vernier I tend to
speak only when spoken to, for fear of folks complaining of commercial
posting. I'll go back to my corner now...

JG
--

John Gastineau
Staff Scientist and Partner