[Phys-L] Re: projectiles

At 01:25 PM 12/31/2004, David B., you wrote:
Regarding Jack's contribution to the projectile discussion:

///
Jack, although the convergence rate is impressive, I don't understand
your reason for the iterative solution of your equation 2.) above.
The equation is explicitly solvable for the angle a. The solution is:

a = (1/2)*arcos(q/(2 + q))

///

David Bowman

I will admit to sympathizing with Jack's preference for iterative
methods. They are much more general of course, and can finesse
explicit solutions of exalted complication. For example, if one
cannot explicitly solve for the trajectory of a projectile subject
to air resistance in the general case, why not settle for a method
that will? :-)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!