Re: Time to retire?

Rick,
suspect there are two thing going on here. One, they often
do choose source
material that is too technical for their level...again
despite guidance on
this point. Two, is the more serious problem which we've discussed
often--lack of reading skills. Some of it may be
laziness--not actually
reading the material...a habit which I fear they pick up
before College due
to the types of assignments and tests they've been given.
That could be
fixed. I'm more worried that they really are not learning to read for
comprehension--at least not that well. Of course, the best
students do read
well, and consequently do well, but the reading skills of the
middle of the
pack have fallen.

There may be a third related thing going on. Their collective experience
may be that there is a lack of consequence for not having read for meaning
and comprehension.

This allows for a segue into the grade inflation thread.

Joel R