R: HP Graphing Calculators

----- Original Message -----
From: Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@SNOW.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 7:50 PM
Subject: HP Graphing Calculators

Sorry to be late in joining this discussion.

I'm new to the 49G...

This sentence describes me as well. I've had my 48G for four years, and I sure will keep
it, too. I'm quite fond of both.

1. If someone wants an algebraic calculator, don't they buy TI? I thought
the main point of buying HP was to get RPN; so why is the _default_ mode on
the 49G algebraic? This irks me. And I doubt it stole much market share
from TI.

Like you, I think they made algebraic the default mode to take away some share from TI -
the new look is also quite similar to TI-89. I was quick to shift again to RPN. I also set
the -117 flag to soft menu instead than choose box.

2. The users guide that came with the 49G is inadequate ...
My 1999 edition of the guide has incorrect instructions ...
I find that particularly annoying.

I feel like you. I have the User's, the Pocket and the Ad. User's Guide, and I think the
manual for the 48G was *much* better. But I came to love the new calculator anyway.

3. Is there some kind of 48-emulation mode I can put the 49 in?
I don't think there is.
I prefer the function key menus to the pop-up menus that
require scrolling.
See above.

4. Here's the kicker: I've been totally unsuccessful in getting the 49 to
plot anything. I've followed the instructions in the manual to no avail.
I've played with it for a long time to no avail (and remember I've been
teaching the class on how to do it on the 48 for a half-dozen years). I
keep getting PPAR errors. Not one single plot yet. I've even taken the
batteries out to reset it to its factory condition and I still can't get
the instructions in the manual to produce a plot for me.

I'm not sure I know why you have been so unsuccessful. The manual gives instruction for
the algebraic mode, but of course you know that. In RPN mode, try the following:
* press <SYMB>
* choose [GRAPH] (F4)
* choose [2D/3D] (F4)
* you get the familiar plot screen; and also you can access
* the [Y=] screen (LS+F1) to define functions
* the [WIN] screen (LS+F2) to define the plotting window
* the [GRAPH] screen (LS+F3) to visualize graph.
Let me know how that worked.

Forgive my poor English.

Paolo Cavallo " I am a teacher at
ton0621@iperbole.bologna.it heart, and there
are moments in the
classroom when I can hardly hold the joy. "
P. J. Palmer, 1998