Re: R: HP Graphing Calculators

----- Original Message -----
From: Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@SNOW.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 7:50 PM
Subject: HP Graphing Calculators

Sorry to be late in joining this discussion.

I still appreciate the input.

1. If someone wants an algebraic calculator, don't they buy TI? I thought
the main point of buying HP was to get RPN; so why is the _default_ mode on
the 49G algebraic? This irks me. And I doubt it stole much market share
from TI.

Like you, I think they made algebraic the default mode to take away some
share from TI -
the new look is also quite similar to TI-89. I was quick to shift again to
RPN. I also set
the -117 flag to soft menu instead than choose box.

After writing the original inquiry I found a FAQ that mentioned flag 117.
I'm much happier with the soft menus now than the choose boxes.

2. The users guide that came with the 49G is inadequate ...
My 1999 edition of the guide has incorrect instructions ...
I find that particularly annoying.

I feel like you. I have the User's, the Pocket and the Ad. User's Guide,
and I think the
manual for the 48G was *much* better. But I came to love the new
calculator anyway.

_Why_ do you like the 49? They didn't increase the screen resolution over
the 48, didn't speed up the processor, switched to rubber keys, and moved
everything around. I'm thinking I still prefer the 48; the 49 is trying
too much to be like a TI.

3. Is there some kind of 48-emulation mode I can put the 49 in?
I don't think there is.
I prefer the function key menus to the pop-up menus that
require scrolling.
See above.

Got that. Thanks.

4. Here's the kicker: I've been totally unsuccessful in getting the 49 to
plot anything. I've followed the instructions in the manual to no avail.
I've played with it for a long time to no avail (and remember I've been
teaching the class on how to do it on the 48 for a half-dozen years). I
keep getting PPAR errors. Not one single plot yet. I've even taken the
batteries out to reset it to its factory condition and I still can't get
the instructions in the manual to produce a plot for me.

I'm not sure I know why you have been so unsuccessful. The manual gives
instruction for
the algebraic mode, but of course you know that.

I even tried Algebraic mode so I could follow the instructions; that
doesn't work either.

In RPN mode, try the following:
* press <SYMB>

hmmm....never knew you had to do that.

* choose [GRAPH] (F4)
* choose [2D/3D] (F4)
* you get the familiar plot screen;

nope. after pushing 2D/3D I get "! Error: Invalid PPAR" just like I
always do. I can't figure out how to get rid of the invalid PPAR (or even
what it is). Like I mentioned, I even took the batteries out until the
calculator reset when it came on. It _still_ says I have an invalid PPAR
when I try to graph.

and also you can access
* the [Y=] screen (LS+F1) to define functions
* the [WIN] screen (LS+F2) to define the plotting window
* the [GRAPH] screen (LS+F3) to visualize graph.

None of these work for me.

Let me know how that worked.

Well there you have it. I'd sure appreciate any further suggestions.

Forgive my poor English.

There is nothing to forgive. Your English is great. Thanks for the reply.

Larry