Re: A. Einstein and science-fairs

Michael wrote in part:

I apologize if my ranting and raving has drawn readers to
conclude that
I don't value teaching students good analysis/process skills.

Let me add a note of apology as well for some of the shrillness of this
thread; I'm mostly trying to spark some debate, because I see much that I
don't like in the whole science fair project milieu.

What I am doing is lamenting about several things I have noticed:

(1) Science fair organizers (many teachers in general) tend to believe
there is a rigidly defined "scientific process."
(2) Many don't accept projects outside that narrow definition.
(3) Scientific process is pushed so hard that science content hardly
matters any more.
(4) My memory (which may be fallible) is that this is a
change from the
way science fairs worked 30 years ago.

I agree with statements 1-3 (although I may want a narrower definition than
Michael, but current practice is certainly too narrow). I can't agree with
(4), because I don't have direct experience with science fairs of 30 years
ago; I'm old enough but avoided the high school teachers that required doing
such a project.

As a parting shot, let me say that I don't especially feel
that science
necessarily deserves credit for, nor should be the primary champion of
"the scientific method," if what is meant by this is doing well
designed studies, taking good notes, and drawing conclusions supported
by the data. Economists, artists, lawyers, etc. (you name it) all
ought to work this way. I would rather call this "critical thinking
skills" or "analysis skills" or something like that.

Agreed, and I wish more economists, artists, lawyers, doctors worked this
way; perhaps if more had had to enter projects in "analysis fairs" . . .

My point, then, is that today's "science fairs" might as well
be called
"analysis fairs." Certainly the bulk of what I have seen as a judge
would fall into the category of "consumer analysis" or
"psycho-behavioral analysis."

Agreed, but "science fair" is a much more sexy moniker.

Heaven's, I've even seen acceptable
projects in astrology... acceptable because the student defined the
study well, interviewed sufficient people of various zodiacal signs to
make the teacher happy, and concluded that Aries people are more
aggressive than Virgo people.

Oops, some disagreement; I wouldn't mind these projects of the study is done
well; and it would presumably show that there was no such effect. The
sceptical enquirer does analysis of these topics all the time, in, to coin a
phrase, "a scientific manner".

I'm so tired of that, and have
complained so much to my wife, that when I come home from judging a
fair she has the habit of preempting my impending tirade by asking...
"Well, did you get to judge any REAL science projects today?"

Your spouse sounds like a true gem.

cheers

Joel Rauber