Re: A. Einstein and science-fairs

William Beaty wrote:

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Cliff Parker wrote:

What would I do if I wanted to see if the speed of light had changed any in the
past 16 years?

Hasn't the speed of light been declared to be constant? So if changes are
detected, it means that our clock oscillators must have changed somehow?

Since when does nature respond to our declarations. I am not suggesting that it is
likely that she has altered the speed of light but one could always check. I have a
problem with the idea expressed previously that the speed of light is something that
is defined and therefore can not be measured. God does not check our definitions or
declarations to see how fast light should travel today.

As to the second part of your comment. What would happen if someday we detected a
change in the speed of light based on an accepted definition of time and an accepted
definition of length (of course that length would have to be something other than the
meter)? Which would be wrong the clock, the measure of length or the accepted speed
of light?

Cliff Parker

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com