Re: science fair petition?

William J. Beaty wrote in part:

He asked for comments, I can't resist:

By requiring that our children distort their science projects to
follow a stereotyped charicature of science, we convince them that
Science is excruciating, straight-jacketed stuff.

essentially agree

We
hide from them
the entire reason why scientists do Science in the first place: it
is a joyful exploration of totally fascinating topics.

This isn't the entire reason scientists do science. Some (many) are driven
by more base motivations.

It is playing
with cool equipment. It is dancing with the universe and
learning to
see in new ways. Yes, sometimes scientists propose and test
hypotheses, but usually only AFTER they have explored
nature and made
interesting discoveries.

Please end the "Hypothesis/Experiment/Results"
requirement in science
fairs.

sort of agree, there should still be an "experiment" requirement.

While numerous methods exist for doing science,
there is no
single "Scientific Method."

Comments?

I intentionally avoided supplying any "methods of science" in
the above.
If we knock "the scientific method" off its pedestal, then freedom is
promoted and the science fair rules become less narrow and
rigid. Is this

enough? The science fairs still need rules, but I fear that we might
replace one overly-narrow requirement with another.

They still need rules, I think this proposed statement should have
guidelines as to rules. Bill, what rules do you think are needed?

Very little in the above statement prevents a project comparing the poetry
of Lord Byron to that of Tennyson. (Which I think is an entirely worthwhile
intellectual endeavor).

Joel Rauber