Re: post testing FCI

I have given it on the last day of class. I tell the students the
day before that I will be doing it and I take into account the gain
they made over the pretest when I do their final grades. I have
never told them their initial grades.

While some probably blow it off, most seem to put genuine effort into
the work.

We will be post-testing the force concept inventory for our intro class
here at Vassar. Am I correct that the best way to do this is to
announce the quiz beforehand, rather than give it as a pop quiz? I
will probably count the quiz as a regular homework score.

If you have post-tested the FCI before, I'd be interested to hear how
it's done at your school.

Thank you,
James Lombardi

James Lombardi Phone: (914) 437-7081
103 Sanders Physics Laboratory Fax: (914) 437-5995
Vassar College
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604 http://noether.vassar.edu/~lombardi/

Paul Zitzewitz, Professor of Physics
Department of Natural Sciences