Re: Didactics and Akademe

Hi all-
With regard to:
One must be driven towards an ideal of student capability that can
perfectly decorate one's own understanding; yet on the other hand one
demands that the very best can discard and distain one's hardest won
academic values.

I think that I agree with the above statement... but I am not sure.
Could you please rephrase it a bit?
*************************
I think that Brian is having a bit of fun here. Try to diagram
the meaning of the sentence.

What does it mean for an "ideal" to "decorate" an "understanding"?
"Understanding" of what?
Why does "on the other hand" connect "be driven" and "demands"?
and so forth.
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography