Re: Computer Skills

I agree with Bob that knowing how to program in at least one language is
nearly as important as knowing calculus. Ideally students should learn it
in high schools, or in computer science departments. If I had to choose the
language it would be True Basic; we already discussed this last year. The
major argument would be simplicity, power, cost and the multiple platform
nature. (A program developed on one platform, even its graphics, colors,
etc. , works on any other platform. A very powerful student version costs
only $25 and comes with a learning manual.)

As for electronics I am no longer sure it is as important today as it was
when I learned it, also in the 50's. In those days electronics was really
applied physics. Today electronics means many things to many people.
To some it means what it used to be but most often it is defined
(implicitly) as a skill of connecting (or replacing) black boxes, such as
operational amplifiers, etc. The components, usually hidden, are too
small to investigate.
Ludwik Kowalski
Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Since I began teaching (in the 50's) I have argued for basic electronics
as a necessary ingredient of the physics curriculum, citing its ubiquity
in the implementation of almost any modern experimental procedure.
In the same vain I would now insist on a familiarity with computer
programming as an essential tool of our 20/21 century armamentarium.