Re: A maximum acceleration

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> wrote:

You are indeed wrong to think that electric breakdown does not occur in
the vacuum. It is intuitively plausible but in fact, the breakdown voltage
is smaller for a given vacuum gap than for an air gap.

I know that the dependence of the breakdown voltage on the pressure, for
a given gap, is a curve which has a minimum. Both very high pressure and
very low pressure are used by engineers to prevent sparking. But once you
are on the low p side of the curve the breakdown voltage grows rapidly as
the vacuum becomes better and better. In the limit of an idealization
(where rigid objects and point-like masses are allowed) any gap can hold
any difference of potential without sparking. Please correct me if this
is wrong.

The idea of massive black-holes is now so fashionable and pervasive,
that I can hardly cite one reference among so many! They seem to agree
that the M/r ratio may be arbitrarily high - even though it may be
unobservable - and hence a metaphysical rather than physical question
at that point.

What is the evidence for the mutual agreement? I suspect that there may
be a limit on how much mass (in any form) can be squized into a finite
volume. But that does not mean anything unless a reason is provided to
support the claim (or a demonstratable consequence is derived from it).
Nobody was thinking about c being an ultimate limit of v. That idea was
formulated long before v of electrons could be measured in vacuum diods
and accelerators.
Ludwik Kowalski