Re: [Phys-L] Sun going around the Earth?

Richard, the original actually had more than that question:
" So, I was having an argument with someone about establishing that the Earth goes around the Sun, and he claimed that he could write down a perfectly consistent general relativistic framework where the Sun would be going around the Earth. Not having the time, I didn't get a chance to see this done, but[1st question] I was wondering whether it *could* be done - even in principle. If so, then [2nd question] is the geocentric model "just as good" as the heliocentric model - in the sense of "just as consistent with reality" - as opposed to the "just as convenient" sense?"

When he added the term "geocentric model" he (possibly unconsciously) invoked at least the whole solar system. His first question may have been Sun and Earth only, but is one is considering only those two, why even mention models? Models of what? If you have only two particles interacting gravitationally, yes, geo, helio, or barycentric are good. But for a gravitational system of multiple planets, the Sun is dominating the motions of everything. Planets simply do not orbit Earth.

I think arguments about Earth's rotation are not germain here. The Sun also rotates. Everything we see in the solar system rotates about a self-CM axis. Gravitational orbits form the center of these questions.