Re: [Phys-L] physics and potatoes

On 2015, Jan 12, , at 20:06, Folkerts, Timothy J <FolkertsT@bartonccc.edu> wrote:

Now, whether this make a significant difference in the cooling time or the tastiness of the potato, I can't say.

I read, well before the internet, so it must be true, that “heat” lost due to radiation and convection was ~ equal at 100 F = ~ 38 C. (At typical ambient domestic conditions, configuration, etc. I presume.)

I searched the internet, therefore, suspect, and found this:

4. Under conditions approaching those of still air, the radiant and convective heat losses of new-born pigs at 20 and 300 C air temperature are found to be approximately equal. At 200C the convective loss is increased above that expected, and this is probably due to shivering.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1113/jphysiol.1964.sp007445/asset/tjp1964173196.pdf;jsessionid=ADF038AE4089857EDB348863640A3049.f04t01?v=1&t=i4uvpvyv&s=2bbfb56b6d7489462b481785e1b024e280edbfc7

bc thinks; will significantly** increase cooling time.

** significance is in the eye(s) of the beholder.

p.s. Hence the space blanket. [I have one.] Pigs are used forensically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_blanket

Why hasn’t a science faire participant done this? Especially here in AG. Salinas.