Re: [Phys-L] physics and potatoes

John D says
Nonsense. Does anybody really think IR radiation cares
whether the foil is shiny or not?

Sure, I think sol A sheet of metal (low emissivity) formed into a cavity acts like a cavity radiator (high emissivity). To the extend that the rough side has crevasses/pocks/indents and the shiny side does not, the rough side will be more like a cavity radiator and hence a higher emissivity. Lots of sources say surface texture matters for emissivity.

Now, whether this make a significant difference in the cooling time or the tastiness of the potato, I can't say.