Re: [Phys-L] physics and potatoes

On 2015, Jan 12, , at 20:06, Folkerts, Timothy J <FolkertsT@bartonccc.edu> wrote:

Sure, I think sol A sheet of metal (low emissivity) formed into a cavity acts like a cavity radiator (high emissivity). To the extend that the rough side has crevasses/pocks/indents and the shiny side does not, the rough side will be more like a cavity radiator and hence a higher emissivity. Lots of sources say surface texture matters for emissivity.

Certainly, but the cavities must be large WRT the wavelength, no?

IR peak for 320 C ~ 450 F is ~ 6 micron. All but ~ 25% (energy) is longer wavelength. (GE rad. calculator)
The reflectivity of bright aluminium foil is 88% while dull embossed foil is about 80%.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_foil
I suspect the “roughness” is too fine for the 6 + micron to "notice it”. Notice visible doesn’t notice it much. ( I assume the 88-80% is for the visible ~ 1/2 micron.)

More comment forthcoming.

bc never worried about roughness w/ X-band demonstrations, EXCEPT FTIR.