Re: [Phys-L] fundamental notion of force --> using an arrow to represent something more than a vector

I have been one of those who have associated the point of application of a force and the line of action of a force, with the force, and thought of the force as a bound vector or a sliding vector (free to slide along the line of action), but you have shown me the light, Philip. Thanks! The key is to separate the force, represented by a plain old vector, from the location of the interaction. We use a position vector to specify the location of the interaction; it represents how far and which way you have to go from some specified point in space to get to the location of the interaction (or the effective location of the interaction for the case of a distributed load such as that of the gravitational interaction). I appreciate John raising this point; it certainly made me think about it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Philip
Keller
Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2015 10:03 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] fundamental notion of force --> using an arrow to
represent something more than a vector

I think I am missing the point.

A force is a vector. But a rope is not. And a "lever-arm" is a vector.
But a beam is not.

When a rope pulls on a beam, we define the force vector with magnitude
and direction. But the force vector is not a physical entity. It is a
mathematical abstraction. And it does not have location. When we are
working with those abstractions, we find it convenient to move them
around, such as when adding them tip-to-tail. We can move the force but
we are not moving the rope. We are moving them in an abstract vector
space, not the real world. [Just this week, I have been teaching first year
students how to take the forces on a free-body diagram and and add them
tip-to-tail.]

Similarly, lever-arm is a vector. We can define it as the displacement vector
from the chosen pivot axis to the point of application of the _rope_ (not "the
force", the rope). Moving the real-world rope will change the lever arm
vector. Moving the abstract (vector-space) force will not.

Then, we can define torque = r x F = |r| times |F| times sine of angle
between them. Go ahead and move F or r wherever you want...torque
won't change.