Re: [Phys-L] fundamental notion of force --> using an arrow to represent something more than a vector

I think I am missing the point.

A force is a vector. But a rope is not. And a "lever-arm" is a vector. But a beam is not.

When a rope pulls on a beam, we define the force vector with magnitude and direction. But the force vector is not a physical entity. It is a mathematical abstraction. And it does not have location. When we are working with those abstractions, we find it convenient to move them around, such as when adding them tip-to-tail. We can move the force but we are not moving the rope. We are moving them in an abstract vector space, not the real world. [Just this week, I have been teaching first year students how to take the forces on a free-body diagram and and add them tip-to-tail.]

Similarly, lever-arm is a vector. We can define it as the displacement vector from the chosen pivot axis to the point of application of the _rope_ (not "the force", the rope). Moving the real-world rope will change the lever arm vector. Moving the abstract (vector-space) force will not.

Then, we can define torque = r x F = |r| times |F| times sine of angle between them. Go ahead and move F or r wherever you want...torque won't change.